Pizza is a tricky thing for diabetics. All the carbs and fat and protein really make the blood sugar hard to control. Since getting my pump, I had found a "Pizza Bolus Combo" that seems to work fairly well for me. I was excited to eat pizza now that I have the CGM so I could see what I needed to fine tune on my Pizza Bolus.
Here's how things went:
- 7:30pm - 74 - glad the blood sugar was finally down because I had been running high all day. Bolused 40% up front and 60% over 2 hours. Ate pizza as soon as Pea got home with it.
- 8:16pm - 52 - felt a little funny, and CGM Low Alarm buzzed. Finished pizza and drank Motts Tots Juice box, 13g carbs.
- 10:00pm - 51 - what the hell? Ate small package of Swedish Fish, 14g of carbs.
- 10:32pm - 67 - going to bed. Not worried about low reading, because I'm sure I'm on the rise. Glad to have CGM, just in case.
- 11:26pm - 43 - CGM alarm woke me up, thank goodness. Drank my second Motts Tots Juice box of the night. 13g of carbs. (again)
- 1:57am - 54 - YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!! 54 after pizza, 2 juice boxes and Swedish Fish?? Did I really eat the pizza, or was it just a dream? Has my pancreas decided to work again??? Ate small package of Sour Patch Kids, 14g of carbs. So ticked, went back to sleep without rebrushing teeth.
- 7:04am - fasting blood sugar of 106.
So yeah, not quite sure exactly what was going on. After eating pizza, I usually see a rise around midnight and need to bolus a small correction. Now I'm wondering if I was bottoming out and not feeling it, and then rebounding around midnight. Have I really been over-bolusing that much for pizza? The only way to find out is to see what happens next time. But for now, I think that pizza was mocking me!