It’s unlike me to plan ahead, but I’ve known for a while what my Diabetes Art Day project would be. I was inspired by those cute little plush pancreases I’ve seen around. I decided, since my current pancreas isn’t doing a thing, I’d knit myself a new one!! I decided to base my knit pancreas on this picture, which is even labeled with “head”, “body” and “tail”, so I’d know exactly where to stitch the facial features. I had plans on using old diabetes supplies to embellish my knit pancreas.
I selected some soft, fuzzy yarn. I got my knitting needles. I did some figuring and wrote up the beginnings of a pattern. And I cast on my pancreas. I knit and knit and knit. I knit some more. I worked hard . . . . and then? Yuck. I hated it. It was way too big and looking kind of odd. So I frogged. (Frogged is knit-speak for ripped the whole damn thing out).
I grabbed some graph paper and started to chart out a new pancreas based on that picture I liked. I cast on again. I knit some more. Then I really looked at what I was knitting and at what I had drawn on the graph paper. I decided it looked less like a pancreas and more like . . . . well . . . . a very non-family-friendly body part. That’s right. Just like my real pancreas, I sadly realized that my knit pancreas was not working.
So for Diabetes Art Day, I present to you, MY PANCREAS FAIL.
But here is the key thing. The next Diabetes Art Day is just five months away. So I’ll treat this failed project just like I treat diabetes. As noted in my art, I will “Adjust and Try Again”. I will “Persevere”. And maybe when the Fourth annual Diabetes Art Day rolls around, I’ll have a brand new (knit) pancreas to share!!