A glucagon kit that is easier to use would be great, but until then there is a new mobile app out from Lilly which, according their press release, “serves as a teaching tool and can provide guidance for treatment with Lilly Glucagon for Injection (rDNA origin) during severe hypoglycemic events". The press release also notes that the app includes . . .
- "Information about severe hypoglycemia and Glucagon
- Simulated practice demonstrating how to prepare and inject Glucagon
- Visual and audio emergency instructions
- Tools to keep track of kit locations and alerts for expiration dates
- Important safety information"
|Screen shots from the Lilly Glucagon Mobile App|
When Pete gets home tonight, I plan to load this app on his phone too, and go through the tutorial with him. In reality, it may not keep him any calmer if he ever needs to give me glucagon. But the fact that he can familiarize himself with the steps on a simulator before hand, and will have emergency instructions easily accessible on either of our cell phones, does help me worry a bit less.