Friday it was time for both a site and sensor change. I did both right before lunch and decided not to start my CGM right away since it would be asking for a calibration too soon after I had eaten.
This is where things started to go wrong. The afternoon came and went. I realized I was very thirsty, but didn’t think much of it because my CGM hadn’t alarmed me of a high. Why? Because my CGM wasn’t ON, but I had forgotten that. So I tested and was not happy with what I saw. 320!!!! I had indulged in some mini-doughnuts earlier in the afternoon, so I figured a carb miscalculation was to blame for my sucky number and bolused a big correction. One hour later I saw this . . .
So not cool!!!!! I decided something must be wrong with the new site, so I pulled it. My cannula was kind of bent at a weird angle, so I took a correction by injection and then popped in a new site. I also bumped up my basal to help get things moving in the right direction.
And it worked . . . it worked much too well. Here is what I saw an hour later . . .
Oh crap!!!!! And I had a ton of insulin on board. As far as I can figure, I must have gotten quite a bit of the first correction bolus, even though my cannula looked pretty bent. It was stupid for me to pile on a big correction by injection and bump up my basal - but I just wanted to come down so I could enjoy Friday Night Pizza and Martinis with Pete. Instead I got a big scare and ate a bunch of empty calories to keep my blood sugar from bottoming out.
Diabetes is tough. Sometimes we do things that don’t work out. Sometimes we make poor decisions because we just want to enjoy our night. I really screwed up this time - but hopefully I’ll remember this and do much better next time.