Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Can I just tell you?


Okay, okay, I know it's been just over 24 hours. I'm sure things won't always go so well. I know there will be days when it's a huge thorn in my side. But right now, it's been nothing but wonderful.

I reported for training yesterday at 10:30 a.m. I was really happy when I learned that my trainer would be "C", who trained me on my pump last April. She's smart, thorough and a lot of fun. By 11:00 a.m. my sensor was in, and we had fun chatting about diabetes, the holidays, and how men are such babies when they are sick. (Ask me how I know?) Soon, it was time to attach the transmitter and go over a few more things, and then I was on my way. By 1:00 p.m. I was ready to enter my first finger-stick reading for calibration, and my graph started to fill in.

So far it's been pretty accurate. Most of yesterday afternoon, the CGM readings were within 20 points of my finger-sticks. By last evening and overnight, they were within 3 points. Wow!! It's been my theory that my blood sugar crashes during the night and I sleep through it, but I could never get a finger-stick that confirmed this. Until 4:00 am this morning.  I woke to a beeping and asked Pea "What the hell is beeping outside" . . . . until I realize it was ME who was beeping!  The CGM alerted me to a low. I treated, came up to about 80, then fell back down to the 60's. When I test during the night, it's usually by 3:00 a.m. or before.  I don't think I've ever been up at 4:00 to test.  Low Blood Sugar Mystery solved.

Crazy thing is, my blood sugars since Sunday have been the best I can remember in a long time.  Yes, Sunday, even though I didn't have my CGM until mid-day yesterday.  I'm hoping that being hooked up now can help me make this good streak last a bit longer.

For now, I'm just really proud to look at my 3 hour graph.  (Which I could swear I took a picture of, but I guess I didn't and I'm too lazy to take, upload and edit another one now.)  My 24 hour graph is a thing of beauty!  (And yes, I have a picture of that one.)

I suspect that if my CGM hadn't caught that 4a.m. low, I'd have spent the morning and early afternoon battling a rebound and wondering what I had done wrong.

Overall, I am feeling very thankful. I know many, many people are fighting their insurance companies for CGMS approval. I know just how lucky I am to be wearing my CGM, and I'm sure not going to take it for granted.


  1. Wow! Thats wonderful!! I'm so happy for you :)

  2. How terrific that you and your CGM have "bonded" so quickly! Yay for you and best wishes that it continues to help you.

  3. That's awesome! Your overnight experience is pretty much what happened to me when I started - suspecting lows, but never having caught it until I got the CGM. I wish you many, many more straight lines!

  4. Rock on Karen! SOOOO happy for you!
    Whoa, that graph is like, um, Awesome!!!

    Keep up the good work!

  5. So. Awesome! I am glad you are digging it!

  6. So glad it's working out for you! I am still waiting for my skin to "calm down" so I can start using my CGM again :o

  7. karen, dont forget to change your battery hahaha


Thanks for your comment!