Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Good to be away, good to be home.

Well, vacation is officially over. We spend a fun week in Colonial Williamsburg for a Family Reunion with my mother's side of the family. I was sure I had gotten a shot of the 25ish of us all posing together, but I guess my camera was hidden away when the picture was taken. Hopefully some relatives will upload their copies soon! The best I can do is a picture of me and my brother at Jamestown, with my aunt and uncle in the back.

How can you tell that's me, and that we are related? Why, by the way we are both desperately trying to ignore the camera (and Pea) in the hopes of not getting our picture taken!! Our conversation probably went something like this:
"Is he gone yet?"
"Nope, still there."
"Well for goodness sake, don't look - and certainly don't smile!"
"Why doesn't he just go take a shot of the scenery?"

As great as vacation is, it's good to be home. Am I the only one who loves to go away, but maybe loves to come home even more? It's always so nice to be back in my own house, sleeping in my own bed and using my own clean bathroom where everything is accessible and not stuffed in a travel case. If it weren't for the empty fridge and piles of dirty laundry, coming home just might be perfect.

Another nice thing about coming home is cooking my meals own again. Now, I love a good meal out as much as the next person, but it's always a bit of a challenge. Trying to resist the less-healthy menu options (and in my case, usually ordering them anyway), playing Guess the Carb Count, and punching in S.W.A.G. boluses with the hopes of covering the mystery carbs just right. After a full week of eating every meal this way, it feels good to come back home to food whose carb count I am 100% sure of.

But as vacations go, things went pretty smoothly Diabetes-Wise. Well, okay, I did get my first ever non-delivery message at breakfast on Monday, which caused a near freak-out. But I caught it when my blood sugar was only in the low 200's, and since I had put in a new site a few hours earlier I knew to just change it out. By mid-morning I was back where I should be. Oh, and there was the night I accidentally gave my site a good whack. It seemed fine, but I woke up a 2 am in the high 200's. Not normal for me. Again, I changed out the site, stayed up for an hour to make sure my blood sugar was heading back down, and woke for good at 7 am with a reading of 72. Crisis averted. The very hot weather and all of the walking we did while sight seeing even afforded me a few treats along the way. (Mmm, fudge, how I've missed you!) All in all, not a bad vacation.

But it's still good to be home.


  1. Why do you leave the pump in all night? Is it just to avoid having to re-install it every morning? Does it dose you overnight? (I'm new at this.)

  2. Glad to have you back among the D-OC Karen! ;-)

    Sounds like a nice break from everything.

    Oh, I TOtally agree with you on the coming home thing, TOtally! I know where everything is, it is all mine, cleaned my way (hee hee) and supplies are not stuffed in suitcases or bags.

    Hi Andrew new at this:
    I wear a pump also. A pump is meant to be worn 24/7. There is no disconnect except for: showers, infusion set changes, refilling the insulin cartridge, changing a battery, um intimate moments and for us girls, trying on outfits for the day or at the store.
    There is no reinstall. It is recommended every 3 days that us pumpers change our sites, that is, the infusion set.
    The pump is meant to "pump" insulin into our bodies 24/7 to avoid doing injections and have more precise control over the amount we "bolus" (take) when we eat. The 24/7 is called a basal. Hope that helps!

    Again Karen, Welcome Back! ;-)

  3. OK. I"m on two kinds of insulin, a fast-acting (Humalog) that I bolus, and a slow-acting (Lantus) for basal. Do you take two kinds, or is your basal just accomplished through a "trickle" of the fast-acting?


Thanks for your comment!